A. Consultation and teaching
In vivo studies
- Glucose homeostasis: glucose tolerance tests, insulin tolerance tests, pyruvate tolerance test.
- Lipid homeostasis: lipid tolerance test, hepatic VLDL production
- In vivo lipogenesis in adipose tissues and liver (Terminal study)- Experimental design and consultation.
- Body composition: DEXA analysis of body fat or bone density, carcass hydrolysis (terminal study)
- Animal models of insulin resistance (dietary, genetic, hypothalamic lesion).
- Signaling studies in response to injections of insulin, and leptin (Terminal study)- Experimental design and consultation.
- Assessment of hormone and metabolite concentrations – timing, stimulation, feeding status – experimental design and consultation only.
- Euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp studies- Experimental design and consultation only.
- Measurement of food intake in response to administration of orexigenic and anorexigenic agents
In vitro studies
- Isolation of adipocytes – counting the number and cell size distribution of adipocytes using our new coulter counter equipped with a multisizer (number and size of cells are determined on the same sample at the same time).
- Glucose transport and metabolism studies in isolated adipocytes. Insulin dose response (glucose transport, glucose utilization, lipolysis).
- Insulin or leptin signaling in isolated adipocytes – dose response.
- Glucose transport in EDL and Soleus muscle. Insulin dose response.
- Insulin signaling in EDL and Soleus muscle– dose response.
- Insulin signaling: PI-3 kinase, Akt, GSK3, p70s6 kinase, MAP kinase, glycogen synthase activation; phosphorylation of insulin receptor and IRSs.
- Leptin signaling: Jaks, stats, AMP kinase, MAP kinase
- Enzyme activity assays: AMP Kinase, Glucose 6-Phosphatase
- Tissue glycogen or lipid content.
- Measurement of neuropeptides expression (NPY, POMC, AgRP, MCH mRNA) in hypothalamic nuclei
Dissections and surgeries (teaching and consultations only):
- Dissection of adipose tissues, brown adipose tissues, liver, kidney, heart, pectoralis muscle and leg muscle (tibialis anterior, gastrocnemius, EDL and Soleus)
- Dissection of whole hypothalamus and individual hypothalamic nuclei
- Placement of Intracerebroventricular (ICV) Cannula for direct delivery of hormones and compounds in brain
- Placement of intravenous (jugular) catheter for direct delivery of hormones and compounds directly in blood stream
- Subcutaneous implantation of osmotic minipumps
- Subcutaneous white adipose tissue biopsy
- Subcutaneous white adipose tissue transplantation
- Formalin perfusion for in situ tissue fixation
Consultation and assistance on writing animal protocols regarding services offered by the Core
B. Use of DEXA scanner for determination of body fat and/or bone density. Fee for service.
C. Use of Coulter Counter to measure cell number and cell size distribution using our new coulter counter equipped with a multisizer (number and size of cells are determined on the same sample at the same time).