Steven Grinspoon, M.D.
Metabolic dysfunction in lipodystrophy and obesity
This Program investigates critical question relating to the physiological regulation and clinical consequences of adipose tissue accumulation in models of obesity and acquired lipodystrophy. The research is aimed at elucidating the mechanisms and novel treatment strategies for insulin resistance in human models, including obesity and acquired lipodystrophy with visceral fat accumulation, subcutaneous fat loss and ectopic fat accumulation in the muscle, including strategies to improve mitochondrial function.
2. Hadigan C, Liebau J, Torriani M, Andersen R, Grinspoon S. Improved Triglycerides and Insulin Sensitivity with 3 Months of Acipimox in HIV-infected Patients with Hypertriglyceridemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4438-44.
3. McCormack S, McCarthy M, Farilla L, Hrovat M, Systrom D, Grinspoon S, Fleischman A. Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Function is Associated with Longitudinal Growth Velocity in Children and Adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Oct;96(10):E1612-8. PMCID: PMC3200245
4. Zanni M*, Burdo T*, Makimura H, Williams K, Grinspoon S. Relationship between Monocyte/Macrophage Activation Marker in Soluble CD163 and Insulin Resistance in Obese and Normal-Weight Subjects. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Sep; 77(3):385-90 PMCID:PMC3660104
5. Fitch K, Abbara S, Lee H, Stavrou E, Sacks R, Michel T, Hemphill L, Torriani M, Grinspoon S.Effects of Lifestyle Modification and Metformin on Atherosclerotic Indices among HIV-Infected Patients with the Metabolic Syndrome. AIDS. 2012 Mar 13;26(5):587-97. PMCID:PMC3675446
6. Torriani M, Fitch K, Stavrou E, Bredella M, Lim R, Sass C, Cypess A, Grinspoon S. Deiodinase 2 Expression is Increased in Dorsocervical Fat of Patients with HIV-Associated Lipohypetrophy Syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Apr;97(4):E602-7 PMCID:PMC3319185
7. Stanley TL, Falutz J, Marsolais C, Morin J, Soulban G, Mamputu JC, Assad H, Turner RR, Grinspoon SK. Reduction in Visceral Adiposity is Associated with Improved Metabolic Profile in HIV-infected Patients Receiving Tesamorelin. Clin Inf Dis. 2012 Jun;54(11):1642-51. PMCID:PMC3348954
8. McCormack S, Shaham O, McCarthy M, Deik A, Wang T, Gerszten R, Clish C, Mootha V, Grinspoon SK, Fleischman A. Circulating Branched-chain Amino Acid Concentrations Are Associated with Obesity and Future Insulin Resistance in Children and Adolescents. Pediatric Obesity 2013 Feb;8(1):52-61 PMCID:PMC3519972
9. McCormack S, McCarthy M, Harrington S, Farilla L, Hrovat M, Systrom D, Thomas B, Torriani M, McInnis K, Grinspoon S, Fleischman A. Effects of Exercise and Lifestyle Modification on Fitness, Insulin Resistance, Skeletal Muscle Oxidative Phosphorylation, and Intramyocellular Lipid Content in Obese Children and Adolescents. Pediatr Obes. 2013 Jun 25. [Epub ahead of print] PMCID:PMC3808470
10. Makimura H, Murphy CA, Feldpausch MN, Grinspoon SK. The Effects of Tesamorelin on Phophocreatine Recovery in Obese Subjects with Reduced GH. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan;99(1):338-43. PMCID:PMC3879673